Getting married is one of the most important milestones in a person’s life. Every bride wants to look her best on her wedding day, and the dress she wears is a big part of that. However, what goes under the dress is just as important. There are a lot of options for what to wear under a wedding dress, and it can be overwhelming to decide what’s best.
According to a recent survey, there are three main options that most brides choose when it comes to undergarments: shapewear, regular underwear, or going commando. Shapewear is the most popular choice, with over a third of brides opting for it. This type of undergarment can help smooth out any bumps or lumps and give a more streamlined look to the dress. Regular underwear without shapewear is the second most popular choice, with just under 30% of brides choosing it. Finally, around 20% of brides go commando, wearing nothing at all underneath their dress.
When choosing what to wear under a wedding dress, there are a few factors to consider. The style of the dress is one of the most important. A backless dress, for example, will require a different type of undergarment than a dress with a plunging neckline. Comfort is also a key consideration, as brides will be wearing their undergarments for hours on end. Ultimately, the choice of what to wear under a wedding dress is a personal one, and brides should choose whatever makes them feel confident and comfortable on their special day.
Bridal Undergarments: The Basics
When it comes to wedding dresses, one of the most important considerations is what to wear underneath. The right bridal undergarments can make all the difference in how a dress fits and looks. Most brides opt to wear at least underwear and a bra, but there are many options to choose from depending on the style of the dress and the bride’s personal preferences.
For dresses with a low back or plunging neckline, a bra with adhesive cups or a backless bra can provide the necessary support without being visible. Strapless bras are also popular for dresses with a sweetheart or strapless neckline. However, for dresses with sleeves or a higher neckline, a traditional bra with straps may be the best choice. In this case, the straps should be chosen to match the dress and not be visible.
When it comes to underwear, seamless options are best for slim-fitting dresses or those made of a single layer of material. Thongs or seamless panties can help avoid visible panty lines. For dresses with a fuller skirt, petticoats or hoop skirts can help create a fuller silhouette. Shapewear can also be worn to smooth out any bumps or lumps.
It’s important to choose undergarments that fit well and are comfortable to wear for an extended period of time. It’s also a good idea to bring the chosen undergarments to any dress fittings to ensure that they work well with the dress and provide the desired silhouette.
Types of Bridal Undergarments
Bridal undergarments come in many different styles and types, and it’s important to choose the right one to ensure that you feel comfortable and confident on your big day. Here are some of the most common types of bridal undergarments:
- Bridal Bras: A supportive bra is essential for many brides, and there are many different styles to choose from. Strapless bras, longline bras, and corset bras are all popular options.
- Shapewear: Many brides opt for shapewear to help smooth out any bumps or lumps and create a streamlined silhouette. Spanx, Honeylove, and other brands offer a variety of shapewear options, including high-waisted shorts, bodysuits, and slips.
- Panties: Bridal panties come in many different styles, from thongs to boyshorts. It’s important to choose a style that won’t show through your dress and that you feel comfortable wearing all day.
- Hosiery: If you’re wearing a dress that shows your legs, you may want to wear hosiery to give them a smooth, polished look. Choose between pantyhose, thigh-high stockings, or tights, depending on your dress style and personal preference.
When choosing bridal undergarments, it’s important to consider the style of your dress and what will work best with it. For example, if you’re wearing a strapless dress, you’ll need a strapless bra or a bra with removable straps. If you’re wearing a fitted dress, you may want to opt for shapewear to help smooth out any bumps or lumps.
It’s also important to choose undergarments that fit well and are comfortable to wear all day. Make sure to try on your undergarments with your dress to ensure that they work well together and that you feel comfortable and confident on your big day.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Bridal Undergarments
Choosing the right bridal undergarments can be just as important as finding the perfect wedding dress. Here are some factors to consider when selecting bridal undergarments:
- Dress style: The style of your wedding dress will play a significant role in determining the type of undergarments you should wear. For example, a strapless dress will require a strapless bra, while a backless dress may require a bra with a low back strap.
- Comfort: Comfort is key when it comes to bridal undergarments. You will be wearing them for an extended period, so make sure they fit well and don’t cause any discomfort or irritation.
- Support: Depending on your body type and the style of your dress, you may need additional support from your undergarments. Consider options such as corsets, bustiers, or shapewear to help create a smooth silhouette.
- Color: The color of your undergarments is also an important consideration. In general, it’s best to choose undergarments in a color that matches your skin tone to avoid any visible lines or contrast under your dress. However, if you have a white or light-colored dress, you may want to opt for white or nude undergarments instead.
- Material: The material of your undergarments can also impact your comfort level. Look for options that are breathable and moisture-wicking, especially if you’re getting married in a hot or humid climate.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right bridal undergarments to help you look and feel your best on your wedding day.
Tips for Choosing the Right Bridal Undergarments
Choosing the right bridal undergarments can be just as important as selecting the perfect wedding dress. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when shopping for bridal undergarments:
- Consider the style of your dress: Different dress styles require different types of undergarments. For example, a strapless dress will require a strapless bra or adhesive cups, while a form-fitting dress may require shapewear to smooth out any lumps or bumps.
- Choose the right color: Your undergarments should match the color of your dress as closely as possible. Nude or white are typically the best options, depending on the color of your dress.
- Avoid embellishments: Rhinestones, lace, and other embellishments may look pretty, but they can also show through your dress and ruin the overall look. Stick to simple, seamless styles instead.
- Think about comfort: While it’s important to look great on your wedding day, you also want to be comfortable. Make sure your undergarments fit well and don’t dig into your skin or cause any discomfort.
- Choose the right fabric: The fabric of your undergarments can make a big difference in how comfortable you are throughout the day. Look for breathable, moisture-wicking fabrics that will keep you cool and dry.
By keeping these tips in mind and taking the time to find the right undergarments, you can ensure that you look and feel your best on your wedding day.
After conducting research and analyzing the search results, it is clear that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to what most brides wear under their wedding dresses. However, some common trends emerged.
The majority of brides opt to wear underwear and a bra, with strapless and backless options being the most popular. Seamless cotton or flat lace underwear is recommended for sheath dresses, and some brides may choose to wear shapewear for added confidence and to avoid underwear lines showing.
When it comes to shapewear, Honey Love was found to be the most popular brand among brides. Corsets are also a good option for those wanting tummy control and muffin top control.
Ultimately, what a bride chooses to wear under her wedding dress is a personal decision based on comfort, style, and individual body shape. The most important thing is to choose undergarments that make the bride feel confident and comfortable on her special day.