Wedding invitations are an essential part of any wedding. They are the first point of contact between the couple and their guests, and they set the tone for the entire event. However, many couples are often left wondering how much it costs to mail out wedding invitations. The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the weight of the invitation, the number of invitations being sent, and the type of postage being used.
According to Zola, couples can expect to spend around $0.55 per stamp for standard first-class postage. However, this cost can vary depending on the weight of the invitation. For example, if the invitation is oversized or has additional inserts, it may require additional postage. Additionally, couples may choose to use custom or themed stamps, which can be more expensive than standard stamps.
It is important for couples to consider the total cost of wedding invitations, including the cost of postage. According to The Knot, the average cost of wedding invitations is around $500. This cost includes all aspects of the invitation suite, including save-the-dates, invitations, and RSVP cards. Couples should factor in the cost of postage when budgeting for their wedding invitations to ensure they stay within their budget.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Mailing Wedding Invitations
Mailing wedding invitations can be an expensive undertaking. The cost of postage can vary depending on several factors that couples should consider when planning their wedding invitations. Here are some of the factors that can affect the cost of mailing wedding invitations:
- Size and weight: The size and weight of the invitation suite can affect the cost of postage. Invitations that are larger or heavier than the standard size and weight will require additional postage.
- Type of postage: The type of postage used can also affect the cost of mailing wedding invitations. Couples can choose between regular stamps, personalized stamps, or custom stamps, which can all vary in price.
- Destination: The destination of the invitations can also affect the cost of postage. Invitations that are being mailed internationally will require additional postage compared to invitations mailed domestically.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for mailing the invitations can also affect the cost of postage. Rushed or expedited delivery options can be more expensive than regular delivery options.
When couples are planning their wedding invitations, it is important to keep these factors in mind to ensure that they are staying within their budget. By considering these factors, couples can make informed decisions about their invitation suite and postage options.
Types of Wedding Invitations and their Mailing Costs
There are various types of wedding invitations, and each type comes with its own unique mailing cost. The cost of mailing invitations depends on factors such as size, weight, and the type of mailing service used. Here are some types of wedding invitations and their estimated mailing costs:
1. Standard Invitations: Standard wedding invitations are usually 5×7 inches in size and weigh around 1 ounce. These invitations can be mailed using a standard first-class stamp, which costs 55 cents per ounce. Therefore, the estimated mailing cost for standard invitations is around 55 cents per envelope.
2. Square Invitations: Square wedding invitations are becoming increasingly popular, but they require additional postage. Square invitations are usually 6×6 inches in size and weigh around 2 ounces. Since square invitations are not considered standard mail, they require additional postage. The estimated mailing cost for square invitations is around 70 cents per envelope.
3. Oversized Invitations: Oversized wedding invitations are usually larger than 5×7 inches and weigh more than 1 ounce. These invitations require additional postage since they are not considered standard mail. The estimated mailing cost for oversized invitations is around $1.15 per envelope.
4. Invitations with Enclosures: Wedding invitations that come with enclosures such as RSVP cards, maps, and directions cards require additional postage. The additional postage cost depends on the weight of the enclosure. The estimated mailing cost for invitations with enclosures is around 70 cents per envelope.
5. International Invitations: If you are mailing invitations to guests who live outside the United States, you will need to use international postage. The cost of international postage varies depending on the destination country and the weight of the envelope. The estimated mailing cost for international invitations is around $1.20 per envelope.
It is important to keep in mind that these are estimated costs, and the actual cost may vary depending on the location and the postage rates at the time of mailing. It is always a good idea to take a sample invitation to the post office to get an accurate estimate of the mailing cost.
Postage Rates for Mailing Wedding Invitations
When it comes to mailing wedding invitations, couples need to consider postage rates to ensure that their invitations reach their guests on time. Postage rates vary depending on the weight, size, and thickness of the invitation, as well as the destination of the mailing.
According to Zola, couples can estimate that they will need 3-4 stamps per household they are mailing invitations to. However, it is highly recommended to take a final, sealed version of the invitation to the local post office to be weighed and measured by a postal clerk to determine the exact amount of postage required. The USPS currently only offers wedding-themed stamps for 1oz and 2oz letters, with the latter currently priced at $0.87.
If the invitation envelope weighs more than 2 ounces, couples will need to use multiple stamps or opt for a parcel mailing, which can cost around $5 per envelope, according to Brides. Additionally, if the envelope exceeds the standard size of 6.125 inches by 11.5 inches, it will be considered an oversized envelope and may incur extra charges.
It is important to note that these rates are only valid for domestic mail. For international mail, postage rates can vary greatly depending on the destination country and the weight of the invitation. Couples should check with their local post office or the USPS website for current international postage rates.
Tips for Saving Money on Mailing Wedding Invitations
Wedding invitations are an important part of your special day, but mailing them out can quickly add up in cost. Here are a few tips to help you save money on mailing your wedding invitations:
1. Use Standard Postage: When mailing out your wedding invitations, always use standard postage. According to Zola, couples will need 3-4 stamps per household they are mailing invitations to. Save the Dates usually require only one postage stamp as they will usually weigh under the standard amount of postage limits. Using standard postage will save you money and ensure that your invitations arrive on time.
2. Skip the Extras: While it may be tempting to add extra details to your wedding invitations, such as wax seals or ribbons, these extras can quickly add up in cost. Instead, keep your invitations simple and elegant. This will not only save you money, but it will also make your invitations easier to mail.
3. Print Your Own Labels: Instead of paying for custom address labels, consider printing your own labels at home. This will save you money and allow you to customize your labels to match your invitations.
4. Avoid Rush Delivery: While it may be tempting to pay for rush delivery when mailing out your wedding invitations, this can quickly add up in cost. Instead, plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to mail out your invitations. This will not only save you money, but it will also ensure that your invitations arrive on time.
5. Join a Savings Program: Consider joining a savings program, such as The Knot’s Savings Program. For a one-time fee, you can access exclusive discounts and freebies that will save you money on your wedding invitations and other wedding-related expenses. Savings Program members get 50% off save-the-dates, 40% off customizable invitations, and 25 free thank-you cards from The Knot Invitations.
By following these tips, you can save money on mailing your wedding invitations without sacrificing style or quality.
After considering all the factors involved in mailing out wedding invitations, it is clear that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of how much it costs. The total cost will depend on a variety of factors, including the number of invitations, the weight of the invitations, the type of postage used, and the additional costs of addressing and decorating the envelopes.
However, based on the average costs cited by various sources, it is safe to say that couples can expect to spend anywhere from $150 to $700 on their invitation suite before postage. This includes save-the-dates, invitations, RSVP cards, reception cards, menu cards, thank you cards, and place cards.
It is important to keep in mind that additional costs may be incurred if the invitations require hand-processing, calligraphy, or other special handling. Couples should also be aware of the potential for returned or undeliverable invitations if they are not properly addressed and mailed.
In the end, the cost of mailing out wedding invitations will depend on a variety of factors unique to each couple’s situation. By carefully considering all of these factors and planning accordingly, couples can ensure that their invitations are delivered on time and within budget.